Logo of National Resource Center on AD/HD
Home · Register · NRC Library    in Spanish
Ask a Question About AD/HD
Diagnosis and Treatment

Professionals Who Diagnose and Treat ADHD

Topics in this section:

Find us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter HelpForADHD on YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Our health information specialists are here to help. Contact us at 800-233-4050 or online.

For information on finding a healthcare professional, see the FAQ on this topic.

When seeking an evaluation or treatment for ADHD, it is important to see a qualified, licensed healthcare professional. In addition to ensuring that a particular professional has the required training, it is also important to work with a professional who has experience in dealing with this disorder.

There are several types of professionals who typically diagnose ADHD.  These include: physicians (especially psychiatrists, pediatricians, neurologists), psychologists, social workers, nurse practitioners, and other licensed counselors or therapists (e.g. professional counselors, marriage and family therapists, etc.).

In addition to those who may diagnose ADHD, there are numerous other professionals who may have a role in providing treatment and other services for individuals with ADHD and related disorders. These may include various types of therapists or specialists (such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, behavior therapists, educational specialists, etc.).

While all of the above professionals can provide treatment for ADHD, only certain medical professionals can prescribe medication and perform thorough physical evaluations to rule out other possible causes of symptoms. These professionals are physicians (M.D. or D.O.), nurse practitioners, and physician assistants (P.A.) under the supervision of a physician.  All professionals -- including medical/health professionals and educational professionals -- should work only within their scope of experience and expertise.

Because multimodal treatment is the cornerstone of treatment, it is important that all of the members of your treatment team communicate with each other on a regular basis.

Other Web Sites:

Frequently Asked Questions
The school says my child has ADHD; now what do I do?
Can you help me find a doctor or mental health professional?
Is there a simple test to diagnose ADHD?
The school says my child needs Ritalin; where do I get it?
What is Executive Function?
View all Frequently Asked Questions

Ask a question about AD/HD

Print Page · Email Page · About Us · Contact Us
Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · Site Map